Faculty Alumni NetworkThe Indian FAN Symposium 2018 on Smart and Sustainable Cities
Indian Institute of Technology Bombay
January 20, 2018
Vijay and Sita Vashee Chair Professor of Computer Science,
- Bachelor of Technology, Electrical Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology Madras, June 1976.
- Master of Technology, Computer Science, Indian Institute of Technology Madras, July 1978.
- Ph.D. in Computer Science, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah, August 1981
- Timeliness and consistency issues in computer systems, in particular, databases, real-time systems, and distributed applications.
- Recent work addresses these issues in the context of Dynamic Data in sensor networks, embedded systems, mobile environments, and the Web.
- Use of Information and Communication Technologies for creating tools aimed at socio-economic development
- Doctor of Science (honoris causa)
- University of Sydney, May 2007.
- Distinguished Alumnus Award
- Fellow, Technical Organizations
- Fellow of the Indian Academy of Sciences, Jan 2010.
- Fellow of the Indian National Academy of Engineering, Jan 2005.
- Fellow ACM, Jan 2001.
- Fellow IEEE, Jan 1998.
- Board Member
- Very Large Databases (VLDB) Foundation (completed).
Persistent Systems, India.
Walking Stick Solutions Private Limited (completed).
- Technical Advisory Board Member
- TTTech, Vienna, Austria (completed)
Microsoft Research India
Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) Technology Board
International Institute for Information Technology (IIIT) Hyderabad, India
ACM SIGMOD (completed)
- Contribution to Socio-Economic Development
- Editorial Board
- Real-Time Systems, Editor-in-Chief, since Jan 2006.
- IEEE Embedded Systems Letterss, Editor-in-Chief, since Sep 2011.
- IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, since Jan 2006 (completed).
Distributed and Parallel Databases, September 2004 (completed).
IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, 2002 (completed).
IEEE Internet Computing, 2002-2009.
- IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Sys., Jan 1997 - Dec 2000.
World Wide Web: Internet and Web Information Systems, 2003-2008.
The VLDB Journal, May 2002 – April 2007.
- Program Chair, General Chair, Member
- Numerous Conferences devoted to Databases, Real-Time Systems, Web, etc.
Senior Advisor Smart Cities and Infrastructure, McKinsey
Adjunct Professor, Desai Sethi Centre for Entrepreneurship,
- Gold Medallist from Benares Hindu University and Punjab University
- MBA, Marketing, 1995
Areas of Interest:
- Internet of Things (IoT)
- Smart Cities
Professor Purushottam Kaushik is currently serving as a Senior Advisor with the Smart Cities and Infrastructure practice at McKinsey. As the Senior Advisor, he provides an additional guidance to McKinsey’s Pune Smart City project, bringing in industry connect to their Smart City projects and taking their engagements with other newer cities forward. He also works with the Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay as an Adjunct Associate Professor to mentor students in the domain areas of Internet of Things (IoT) and Smart Cities and to help a few start-ups incubated in the institute with their go-to-market strategy.
In addition, he has also worked with the Chandigarh administration to open a Smart City Innovation Centre in the PEC University of Technology campus that aims to showcase Smart City & Infrastructure solutions from industry and start-ups.
He has been a Managing Director at Cisco responsible for the creation and management of a $2 Billion business in areas related to smart cities, IoT, public safety, surveillance and Digital India initiatives. He has also worked with Nortel, Alcatel Lucent and Larsen and Toubro in the past. He is a gold medallist from the Banaras Hindu University and Punjab University.
Vice President Strategic Industries,
- Savitribai Phule Pune University,
- BE, Electronics, 1991 - 1994
- University of Pune
Hemant Dabke leads the Strategic Industries domain at SAP for the Indian Subcontinent. In his current position, Hemant spearheads a team of talented sales professionals and technical experts to address the automation and digitization needs of Central and State Ministries, Public Services, Public Sector Undertakings, BFSI and Telecom. With over 22 years of experience in the IT industry, Hemant brings diverse experience of working with start-ups, setting up growth factories, incubating businesses and supersizing them with focus on delivering industry leading profitable growth. This crossdomain work experience makes him knowledge richer. Prior to joining SAP, Hemant was at Tech Mahindra heading the Enterprise Business for key growth and innovation markets like India, SAARC and Malaysia. Earlier in his career, Hemant worked extensively with Microsoft India for over a decade across the broad spectrum of client facing roles. Hemant holds a Bachelor’s degree in Electronics from Pune University. Beyond his corporate life, he takes keen interest in community work and mentors young talent for organizational business and leadership roles.
Pune Smart City Development Corporation Limited
Mr. Rajendra Jagtap who is an Indian Defence Estate Service officer (IDES) presently holding the post of Chief Executive Officer at Pune Smart City Development Corporation Ltd. Earlier Mr. Jagtap has worked as Additional Municipal Commissioner, Pune Municipal Corporation, Chief Executive Officer in various Cantonment Boards in the country.
Pune Municipal Corporation is an urban local governing body for the Pune city which is rapidly developing as metropolitan city in the Maharashtra State with a population of 4 million.
Few proposed major infrastructural development projects of the Pune Municipal Corporation for next 5 years (2016-20) are Pune Metro Project, Pune BRTS, HCMTR, Slum Housing, Water Supply 24X7, River Conservation, River Front Development & Solid Waste Management, etc.
- Computerisation of Land Records at Southern Command
- Special financial management at Devlali Cantonment Board.
- Total station survey of defence lands at Dehradun and Chakrata Forest.
- Developed GIS survey for PMC Property.
- Completed various construction projects in the city like Sports Museum, Sport ground, cultural halls.
- Town vending committee formed and GPS based survey of more than 24,000 street venders done for the city of Pune.
- As per Tree Act GIS/GPS based Tree Census Survey is been carried out in Pune city.
- E-governance Software Developed for 39 Departments and its implementation.
Application Development Specialist,
- Bachelor’s of Architecture and Master’s in Industrial Design, IIT Bombay
- 14 years’ experience in Retail Identity solution and Signage design – with special focus on Petroleum, Automobile, Retail and FMCG segments across Asia Pacific including India.
- Specialized in design to execution process and implementation of Brand strategy which includes – Branding elements, Environmental design, Signage design, Point of sale elements, Product Design and lighting design.
- Developing strong customer intimacy for helping solving problem, developing specification and gain high loyalty.
- Innovation in lighting design, functional films application and improving product life cycle through material science.
- Speaker and trainer for South East Asia - 3M technical and channel partners.
- Dealt with commercial and technical marketing aspects.
- Experience in people management and leadership roles.
Assistant Professor, Centre of Urban Science and Engineering,
- B.E. (Environmental Engineering), Shivaji University, Kolhapur, Maharashtra, India, August, 2001 – May, 2005
- M. Tech. (Environmental Engineering), Veermata Jijabai Technological Institute, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India, August, 2005 – June, 2007
- Ph.D., Centre for Environmental Science & Engineering (CESE), Indian Institute of Technology Bombay, July 2008- August 2013.
- Technical Head (Water and Waste Water) – Synergy Engineering & Environmental Solutions, Thane, India, Jan 2013 – Oct 2014
- Postdoctoral Researcher – Quantitative Sustainability Assessment (QSA) Division, Dept. of Management Engineering, Technical University of Denmark (DTU), Nov 2014 – Oct 2016
Tools/Methods: Life Cycle Assessment; Material Flow Analysis; Carbon Footprinting; Water Footprinting; Sustainability Assessment; Technology Assessment; Multiple Criteria Decision Making; Systems Dynamics; Geographical Information System (GIS)
Systems: Urban Water Systems; Wastewater Treatment; Urban Lifestyles; Urban
Infrastructures; Solid waste management; Urban Agriculture
Cross-cutting Issues: Water Supply; Sanitation; Sustainable Urban Development; Circular Economy; Urban Planning
- Ph.D. thesis received Excellence in Ph.D. thesis award from IIT Bombay
- Recently, he has received research funding from Department of Science and Technology (DST) for a large-scale demonstration project on urban water infrastructure focusing on use of ICT technologies and decentralized infrastructure.
Associate Professor, Computer Science and Engineering,
- B.Tech in Computer Science and Engineering, IIT Bombay, 1996-2000
- Ph.D in Computer Science and Engineering, IIT Bombay, Specialization: semantic disambiguation of words and relations for Information Retrieval.
- Statistical Relational Learning
- Other topics in Machine Learning such as Graphical Models and Support Vector Machines.
- Information Extraction
- Indian Language Processing, NLP in general
- J. R. Issac Chair 2014 - 2016
- IBM Faculty Award 2011
Director Systems Engineering, Technical Presales, Solutions Sales,
India and SAARC,
Cisco Systems India Private Limited
Rupinder Singh is a seasoned senior executive who has established and led Cisco India sales business development team for Internet of things, Public Safety and Security, Education and Healthcare segments. He has over 21 years of experience in Business Sales Development, Technical presales, Technical consulting, Leadership roles in IT, Networking Solutions, IoT, Smart Cities, and Transformational Technologies. He has been instrumental in developing customer mindset and new large revenue opportunities for Cisco in IOT, Smart Cities, public safety, and security. Some of his key responsibilities include the design and development of solutions with third party applications, development of Partner ecosystems along with the Channels team, creation of new Business Models and partnerships to address smart City/ IOT opportunities, creation of Digital and IOT blue print for large enterprises, consultation with top industry associations and regulatory bodies to draft policy guidelines on IOT and Smart City infrastructure development and solutions framework. He has established Cisco as number one player in IOT and Smart cities in India capturing 90%+ smart city IT/IOT solutions sales in country. He is currently leading a 100+ strong Cisco India Systems Engineering team (Technical presales) driving solution sales, New solution development, Partner enablement, go to Market creation in IOT, IT, DC and Networking in India and SAARC region supporting and enabling $800 M+ annual business.